An Ingham County Volunteer Examiner Group
Seated, L to R: John Doornhaag KD8NNQ, Ted Sadilek WA8MFQ, Ben Barker WD8OVL, John Hosford KC8QZB
Standing: Julie McLain KB8ZXR (Silent Key)
[Phil Woodard KD8ZZK Photo]
How do I prepare?
Study, Study, Study!
There is a lending library for those who desire to hit the books, but without the funds to do so and the members of CMARC are always happy to help you earn your way out on the air.
The Lansing testing sessions are all proctored by the “Ingham County Volunteer Examiner (VE) Group” at Lansing Fire Station #44. If you have a special event you would like the VE team to set up testing for, contact Don and they will do their best to accomodate. You can reach Team Contact Person Don McLain/KB8RAD at (517) 930-7707 or KB8RAD@arrl.net and he can answer any questions you may have!
John Doornhaag KD8NNQ, Head Volunteer Examiner
Don McLain KB8RAD, Contact Person (KB8RAD@arrl.net or (517) 930-7707)
Ted Sadilek WA8MFQ
Ben Barker WD8OVL
John Hosford KC8QZB
Russ Fitzgerald N8FZ
Tom Rocheleau WA8WPI
Directions: We meet at Lansing Fire Station #44
It's easy to find! From I-96 east or west, take exit 104 (Cedar Street) and keep right on the exit ramp. Turn right onto Pennsylvania Avenue, the first traffic light, and proceed north about 1/8 mile to Miller Road. Turn right onto Miller Road and proceed east about 1/2 mile to Lansing Fire Station #44 which will be on the north side of Miller Road (your left). Please park in the parking lot just past the fire station building.
To best accommodate the various schedules of those wishing to test, the Ingham County VE team meets on either a Saturday morning or a Thursday evening, every other month. We test in the Community Room at Lansing Fire Station #44, 1435 East Miller Road, Lansing, Michigan.
On the ODD MONTHS testing sessions will be held on the second Saturday of the Month at 11:00 a.m., at Lansing Fire Station #44 unless otherwise noted.
On the EVEN MONTHS testing sessions will be held on the first Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m., at Lansing Fire Station #44 unless otherwise noted.
2020 Schedule of VE Sessions
Thursdays at 7:00 p.m.:
Apr. 2nd Session Cancelled
June 4th Session Cancelled
Aug. 6th Session Cancelled, see Aug. 8th below
Saturdays at 11:00 a.m.:
May 9th Session Cancelled
June 27nd Session Cancelled
July 11th, at the pavillion in Moores Park, 400 Moores River Drive, Lansing, Michigan
Aug. 8th, at the pavillion in Moores Park, 400 Moores River Drive, Lansing, Michigan
Sept. 12th, at the pavillion in Moores Park, 400 Moores River Drive, Lansing, Michigan
Sept. 19th Session Cancelled
Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area HERE.
General Info & Requirements:
Just remember to bring your...
- Original license (if you have one) and a copy
- Two (2) pieces of positive ID (one being a photo ID, such as your Driver's License, the other can be a birth certificate, Social Security card, and students may bring a school ID card, etc.)
- Bring the $15 test fee (or $30, just in case you fail the first version of the test and wish to take the second one)
- A calculator is optional (please note: the memory will need to be cleared if it is a programmable type!)
- #2 pencils along with a black or blue pen, which are necessary for filling out the test and application.
- You'll also need to know your Social Security number or FRN number for that application.
- You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session. However, scratch paper will be provided.
Why? It's Fun!
Part of the fun of earning your Amateur Radio license is taking and passing the entrance exam for the Techician Class License. We have had people come through the doors and take ALL of the exams and walk out an Extra, which is exciting, but we celebrate each and every new licensee equally.