An Ingham County Volunteer Examiner Group
Seated, L to R: John Doornhaag KD8NNQ, Ted Sadilek WA8MFQ, Ben Barker WD8OVL, John Hosford KC8QZB
Standing: Julie McLain KB8ZXR (Silent Key)
[Phil Woodard KD8ZZK Photo]
How do I prepare?
Study, Study, Study!
There is a lending library for those who desire to hit the books but lack the necessary funds to purchase your study material. We are always happy to help you earn your license and get you out on the air as soon as possible.
The “Ingham County Volunteer Examiner (VE) Group” proctors the Lansing exam sessions. Exam location is at Lansing Fire Station 44 map If you have any questions or concerns, you can reach Team Contact Person John Doornhaag KD8NNQ at (517) 672-2759 or email@example.com.
Here is a partial list of our current Examiners:
John Doornhaag/KD8NNQ (Head VE, Team Contact)
Kelly Fitzgerald K8FK
Russ Fitzgerald N8FZ
John Hosford KC8QZB
John Kuchar KD8TMW
Robert (Eric) Lay KD8VUD
Chris Ranes NS8Q
Ted Sadilek WA8MFQ
Todd Young KJ7JPW
Michael Wetzel W8QF
We meet at
Fire Station #44
1435 East Miller Road
Lansing, MI 48910
2023 Schedule of VE Sessions
First Thursday of the month (unless otherwise noted) at 7:00 p.m.
Check-in as early as 6:30 p.m., with no check-ins accepted after
Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area HERE.
General Info & Requirements:
Just remember to bring your...
- Original license (if you have one) and a copy.
- Two (2) pieces of positive ID (one being a photo ID, such as your Driver's License, the other can be a birth certificate, Social Security card, and students may bring a school ID card, etc.).
- Bring the $15 test fee (or $30, just in case you fail the first version of the test and wish to take the second one).
- A calculator is optional (please note: the memory will need to be cleared if it is a programmable type!).
- #2 pencils along with a black or blue pen, which are necessary for filling out the test and application.
- You'll also need your Federal Registration Number (FRN). If you do not have a FRN, you can apply here. Sorry, we are no longer able to accept Social Security Numbers.
- A valid email address. This is necessary for the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to contact you for any required payments.
- You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session. Scratch paper will be provided.
Why? It's Fun!
Part of the fun of earning your Amateur Radio license is taking and passing the entrance exam for the Techician Class License. We have had people come through the doors and take ALL of the exams and walk out an Extra, which is exciting, but we celebrate each and every new licensee equally.